Saturday, June 14, 2014

Challah Bread

Challah Bread





What an amazing feeling it is to bake a bread that you have been dreaming of for years!! I recently bought a baking book for my husband as his birthday present. We both love to cook together but baking is certainly his forte! Yes-lucky me!!:-) My hubby can bake all kinds of amazing and delicious desserts!! Me, not so much!:-) I have always been intimidated with baking and somehow felt that anything I try to bake-it will be a disaster!

So, with a lot of courage I decided to try to bake this bread that I had been drooling over for a long time! The newly purchased recipe book "Baking by Better Homes and Garden" had such divine pictures that I was motivated to try this bread!

And can I say what an amazing recipe this is!! If I can bake this, then anyone can- I really believe that!!:-)

I followed this recipe without any tweaks or modifications. So please go ahead and try this and let me know how it turned out for you!


This recipe makes: 3 loaves (48 slices) or 16 mini loaves. I made 3 loaves.





Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups warm water

Sweetener (choose one):
1/2 cup honey- (I used this option)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar

2 packages active dry yeast (or 4 1/2 teaspoons)
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup fat (choose between melted butter, vegetable oil or olive oil) * I used olive oil.*
1 table spoon salt
Stir-Ins ( 4 cloves garlic, minced abd 1 teaspoon each of oregano and parsley flakes-crushed)
7 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1 egg lightly beaten
1tablespoon milk

Method:

1) In a very large bowl stir together the 1 3/4 cups warm water, the Sweetener, and yeast. Let stand about 10 minutes or until foamy.
Using a wooden spoon, stir in the 4 eggs, the Fat, and salt. Add Stir-Ins. Gradually stir in as much of the flour as you can.
2) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (5-7 minutes total). Shape dough onto a ball. Place in a lightly greased very large bowl, turning once to grease surface of the dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubles in size- 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (I placed it in the oven with the light on to give it some warmth).
3) Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into three equal portions. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a large baking sheet (s).

4) Shaping: Braids- Divide each portion into thirds to make 9 pieces; roll each piece into a 24-inch rope; braid three ropes together. Repeat with the remaining portions.

I shaped the dough into 2 braided loaves and 1 spiral/circular loaf. Arrange on prepared baking sheets. I used one sheet for the 2 loaves and one sheet for the spiral loaf. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubles in size (about 30 minutes).

(I forgot to take pictures while braiding the loaves so I took a picture of the recipe from the book. Hope this helps you to see how to shape the loaves. The bottom right picture shows you how to make the circular/spiral loaf. You can click on the picture to zoom in).




5) Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl combine the 1 egg and 1 tablespoon milk, brush over shaped dough. Bake for 25-30 minutes  or until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped.
Immediately remove loaves from baking sheet. Cool on wire rack.

Enjoy warm with herbed butter!!

Please try this recipe and provide your feedback in the comment box below! Thanks for stopping by!!:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment